The aim of this course is to graduate student with sound knowledge in dermatology and sexually transmitted infections through lectures,tutorials,seminars and clinical rounds. This course covered the basics that student should know (anatomy,histology,physiology of the skin and urogenital tract),functions of the skin and the primary skin lesions.Areas that student should know (common viral, fungal, bacterial infections and parasitic infestations), squamous scaly skin eruptions, diseases of skin appendages, leprosy, genitalulcers, urethral discharge,HIV AIDS are highly emphasized Knowledge about topical and systemic treatment is essential. And knowledge about photo therapy (PUVA,UVB,LASER) is important for student to hear about. Skills (clerking,eliciting demonstrating primary and secondary skin lesions) performing cautery curettage and doing skin biopsy are conducted in this course. Attitude towardspatients, juniorstaff, colleagues and senior staff can be gained.
By the end of the course the student Should be able to:
1. Describe the anatomy, histology of the skin
2. Describe the anatomy, histology of the male and female urogenital tract.
3. Describe primary and secondary skin lesions
4. Discuss the function of the skin
5. Outline dermatological therapy
6. Outline Epidemiology of the common viral, fungal bacterial infection of the skin
7. Describe common diseases of the skin appendages
8. Outline the principles of photo therapy.
9. Outline causes of male infertility.
10. Handle skin and T.S.Is. Patients and take proper and informative history
11. Elicit primary and secondary skin lesions
12. Diagnose and treat the common bacterial , fungal, viral infections and common parasitic infestations
13. Diagnose and treat the common scaly squamous eruptions
14. Manage patients with genital ulcer, urethral discharge and HIV aids
15. Perform skin scraping for fungi
16. Perform skin biopsy
17. Perform curettage and cautery for some skin conditions
18. Introduce himself to his patients and junior staff
19. Gain the confidence of his patient and relatives
20. Present his case with clear language , loud voice and confident manner.
21. Plot a plan for investigating, treating and follow up of his patient.
Phone Number :