Department of Internal Medicine
Since our founding in 1993, the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Alneelain has been committed to excellence in teaching, research, and patient care.
Our vision is to be one of the elite Departments of Medicine in Sudan by: fulfilling a comprehensive academic mission, developing new leaders in internal medicine, and improving the health and health care of residents of the Sudan by providing safe high quality care.
The department of internal medicine concerned with teaching of students of Faculty of medicine ( Alneelain University )
The teaching staff consisting of 18 members with different academic degrees (Professor, Assistant professor, Associate professor, lecturer and teaching assistant).In addition to their roles in the teaching of theoretical and practical courses, they supervise the graduated projects and Master thesis.
By the end of the course the student should be able to:
1. Identify, assess, diagnose and manage important medical respiratory disorders such as Pneumonia, bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease respiratory failure, pulmonary tuberculosis, lung tumors, Chronicsuppurative lung diseases,Pleural disease, pneumothorax, cystic fibrosis & acute bronchitis.
2. Identify, assess, diagnose and manage important cardiovascular problems such as hypertension, rheumatic heart diseases, infective endocarditis, pulmonary embolism, ischemic heart diseases, pulmonary hypertension, cardiomyopathies, pericardial diseases, heart failure, myocarditis& congenital heart diseases.
3. Take proper medical history and perform skilled physical examination in real patient and among them self that covers all essential aspects of the history & summarize his/her findings.
4. Discuss cardiopulmonary diseases and their impact on the community.
5. Discuss the diagnosis& differential diagnosis of cardiopulmonary diseases.
6. Choose investigations relevant to the differential diagnosis of diseases.
7. Adapt him/her to hospital environment and work set up.
8. Show the ability to act & communicate in a professional and ethical manner with patients & others.
9. Identify, assess, diagnose and manage important hematological disorders such as anemia, leukemia, lymphomas, bleeding & coagulation disorders, multiple myeloma, etc.
10. Define, assess, diagnose and manage important medical gastrointestinal tract disorders such as esophageal diseases, peptic ulcer diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, malabsorption syndrome upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding & portal hypertension.
11. Define, assess, diagnose and manage important medical hepatobiliary disorders, such as jaundice, viral hepatitis, chronic liver disease ,ascites, alcohol and liver &,pancreatitis .
12. Discuss the important infectious and tropical diseases in Sudan such as Malaria, Typhoid Fever & Brucellosis, Leishmaniasis and schestosomiasis, tetanus& extra pulmonary tuberculosis, & Human immunodeficiency virus infection and AIDS,amoebiasis,filariasis,leprosy,intestinalworms,giardiasis,trypanosomiasis&hemorrhagic fevers.
13. Define, assess, diagnose and manage important rheumatlogical disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, sero-negative arthritis,SLE, vasculitides, reactive athropathies,polymyositis,dermatomyositis,Sjorgen's syndrome andSystemic sclerosis
14. Define, assess, diagnose and manage common renal medicine disorders such as UTI, pyelonehritis, glomerulonephritis, renal failure, renal replacement therapy, and renal transplantation.
15. Identify, assess, diagnose and manage common nervous system disorders such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, Motor neuron disease, seizure disorder, GBS, spinal , muscular and neuromuscular disease ,Extra pyramidal disorders , cerebellar disease., Meningitis, Encephalitis , Headache, Dementia, MG and Higher center functions.
16. Identify, assess, diagnose and manage important medical endocrine disorders such as diabetes mellitus, disorders of the thyroid gland, disorders of the adrenal gland, disorders of pituitary gland, disorders of parathyroid gland & lipid disorders.
17. Discuss the diagnosis& differential diagnosis of important diseases in our community.
18. Choose investigations relevant to the differential diagnosis of the patient’s disease.
19. Perform skilled clinical examination in real patient summarize this findings.
20. Adapt himself to hospital environment and work set up.
21. Show the ability to act & communicate in a professional and ethical manner with patients & others.
22. List important investigation tools and match their uses in medical practice.
23. Outline the protocols of treatment of common medical problems.
24. Interpret the results of commonly used diagnostic tools (e.g. CBC , X- RAYS ,ECG ..etc ) to achieve reasonable provisional diagnosis.
25. Discuss an appropriate initial treatment program taking into account the urgency of the patient’s problems.
26. Attend routine technical procedures including at a minimum venipuncture, inserting an intravenous catheter, arterial puncture, thoracocentesis, lumbar puncture, inserting a nasogastric tube, inserting a Foley's catheter in true patient.
27. Figure-out patients with immediately life threatening cardiac, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, endocrine or neurological conditions regardless of etiology, and to institute appropriate initial therapy.
28. Outline an initial course of management for patients with serious conditions requiring critical care.
29. Follow up patient progress in medical records of real patient & report.
30. Present seminars and tutorials in a group work medical education.
Phone Number : 00249154932122
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org