The Faculty was established in 1955 as part of Cairo University (Khartoum Branch). It comprised the departments of: Arabic Language, Geography, History, Philosophy.
The first batch graduated from the faculty was in 1959. The year of 1992 witnessed the establishment of Department of Library and Information. In 1993, there were more departments established as follows:
• Department of English in 1994/1995.
• Department of Psychology in 1997/1998.
• Islamic Studies Department in 1998/1999
• Department of French Language in 2001/2002.
• Department of Archaeology in 2008/2009.